Friday, October 26, 2007

All in the family

My grandmother used to be a big part of our day to day life. I didn't even realize at the time how much she contributed to our family. About 5 years ago she was diagnosed with cancer and moved closer to live near us in assisted living. On Sundays it became a ritual for me and my mom to drive over to Clairmont Oaks, say hello to her many elderly friends, and take her back to our house to have a big dinner. My mom would cook dinner while my grandmother played the piano. I would sit on the couch and do the homework I always left for Sundays. Except of course when my grandmother insisted on giving me a lesson which i consented to grudgingly. When i messed up on a note she would 'hit me' on the head and reprimand me with a shrill voice. I don't think she was serious. My grandmother was always making us laugh, she was hilarious. After dinner we sat in the living room near the fireplace and listened to her play more on the piano. Sometimes she would make my mom play which was painful since my mom knows one song that she can't play very well. Then we would all get in the car and drive back to Clairmont Oaks. Actually i hardly ever took these trips because i was trying to cram in some last minute homework.
A year ago my grandmother fell and had to go the hospital. She was in there for a couple months then moved upstairs to hospice. My aunt came over from England and my grandmother got to die with her two children by her side. Those Sunday night dinners are what i miss the most because they were so familiar.

2 comments:

*Mz.TrackStar* said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
*Mz.TrackStar* said...

I really sorry about your grandmother. I also wrote my grandmother also. It's nice to know that I am not the only who finds grandparents so influential in people lives.
-alexia